Summer is here and in Del Mar, that means one thing. Sure, the ocean water is warmer and the days are longer, but in our city, summer is all about the Summer Twilight Concert Series. For a few days out of the year, locals and visitors flock to Powerhouse Park to listen to live music while enjoying the warm summer evenings and views of the Pacific.
The first Twilight Series concert took place in 1983, and since then it’s been a highlight event of the summer season. All concerts are free and open to the public. With the shows kicking off in the evening, the concert series gives you the perfect opportunity to relax, dance, and relish a picturesque sunset.
Before you make any summer plans, make sure you mark your calendar for these upcoming performances. Opening acts will hit the stage one hour prior to the night’s headliner.
- Tuesday, June 20 at 7:00 p.m.: Blue Eyed Soul Band
- Tuesday, July 11 at 7:00 p.m.: DSB – The Next Best Thing To Journey
- Tuesday, August 8, 7:00 p.m.: The Ultimate Stones
- Tuesday, August 22, 7:00 p.m.: The Mighty Untouchables
- Sunday, September 10, 5:00 p.m.: Sensation Show Band
Del Mar Plaza is a proud sponsor of the Twilight Concert Series, and we invite you to celebrate, drink, and dine pre- or post-show at one of our many fabulous restaurants. Shimbashi Izakaya, Del Mar Rendezvous, Pacifica Del Mar, and Il Fornaio will be selling Gourmet Beach Boxes before the each concert of the series. You can pre-order your box online. The night of the concert, you can park at Del Mar Plaza (for free!), pick up your gourmet beach box, and then walk over to Powerhouse Park to enjoy the show. You can choose from several prix fixe menu options, and boxes contain all the utensils and dishes you need to have a proper picnic. Prices start at just $12.95 per box.
Of course, if you prefer to take a seat and dine in or create your own take-out option, the Plaza’s restaurants have a flavor to satisfy any bit you’re craving.
- The award-winning Del Mar Rendezvous has a wide variety of Chinese dishes that will please any type of palate. Vegetarians, vegans, and those who follow a gluten-free diet will be happy to know the restaurant offers dishes to fit their needs. And if you visit between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., you can enjoy Rendezvous’ “Happy Buddha Hour,” when all dim sum is half off (with the purchase of two dinner entrees) and your second glass of wine or draft beer is just $.88.
- If you’re trying to make the Twilight Concert a romantic date night, start your evening at either Il Fornaio Del Mar or Enoteca del Fornaio. Both authentic Italian restaurant have amazing wine selections, cocktails, and beloved dishes like Pennoni alla Vodka, Linguine Mare Chiaro, and Filetto di Bue. Don’t forget to finish your meal with something dolci, like Tiramisu, Cannoli Siciliani, or Gelato.
- At Pacifica Del Mar, you can enjoy a romantic, two-course Sunset Dinner before the concert starts. Served until 6:00 p.m., you can choose a starter and main-course dishes like Macadamia Crusted Mahi Mahi, Bucatini Pasta, and Turmeric Marinated Free-Range Chicken. For some time a little more casual, grab a seat at the bar during Happy Hour (from 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.) and nosh on the restaurant’s small bites for half the price.
- Shimbashi Izakaya offers traditional Japanese food in a unique Izakaya, or “pub,” setting. Happy Hour is from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., which leaves plenty of time to have a couple glasses of sake, a few cocktails, or sushi rolls before the concert begins. Dinner entrees, sashimi, and sushi rolls can be taken to go as well, if you’re short on time or want to eat at the park instead.
- If you have no time to sit and dine, Smashburger is a casual favorite with fast burgers, salads, fries, and other sides that can be ordered and taken to go. There’s also a kids menu for mini concert goers to appreciate.
Whether you make it out to every show or have your eye on a particular performance, make sure you make your way to park for the Twilight Concert Series. And don’t forget to make one of our restaurants part of your evening with a bite or drink before the show. Visit the Del Mar Plaza online for more information on our dining options and our upcoming Seaside Sessions live music series.